Friday, December 12, 2014

As 2014 comes to a close, I have never been more proud of being a BRAT than I am today. This is my first blog post and look forward to using this blog to share why I feel so strongly about this heritage.

Over 30 years ago, my mom and dad gave me this poem, hand painted on canvas. They found it on a trip to the Philipines while we were stationed at Osan AB, Korea. To this day, it hangs on my wall.
I am very proud that my father voluntarily joined the Air Force during a time when others did not, even going as far as Canada to avoid fighting for our freedoms. I am also proud that my mother is an Air Force Mom, serving side by side my father and enduring every remote, TDY, PCS and tearful nights from a daughter who missed her daddy.

MY FATHER IS AN AIR FORCE MAN

My Father is an Air Force Man
And now I've learned to see
How this life gives as well as takes,
And what it's meant to me.

Yes, I've had a treasured life
That's shown me how to grow
I'd never change it though before
This wasn't always so.

Forever moving, here still.
From place to different place,
Our homes have numbered many -
Each address a town or base.

I still recall my father's way
Those times when he'd come back
To kiss my Mom, then boldly state
"We're transferred, start to pack."

Sometimes this was a hateful blow!
And times my heart would cry.
My friends, I'd have to let them know.
My dearest friends.... Goodbye.

I used to leave a hidden thing -
A doll; a strand of hair;
For though we are forever gone,
A bit of me stayed there.

When I was small I never knew,
Or cared, just what he did:
Or why he'd sometimes hold me tight
And say, "Your worth it, kid."

I knew of course, my Dad flew planes,
When most kids did not.
I also knew, with sad resign,
Planes kept him gone a lot.

I watched how Mom would worry
When his plane was overdue.
But yet each time I knew he'd come
And bring a gift or two.

And what a dazzling sight he gave
This small, adoring daughter,
Dressed tall in blue and silver;
And I'd brag, "This is my father!"

An Air Force Dad has taught me much
His gift to me is rare
My friends are many races
And my home is everywhere.

I know that our country's great
And that our lives are free,
Because my Dad's an Air Force man
And means the world to me.

Anonymous

1 comment:

  1. So grateful for the women & men who serve our country. Proud Army Brat 😊

    ReplyDelete